Additional Grant-Making Organizations
- National Ataxia Foundation
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- Ataxia UK
- FARA - Australasia
- American Heart Association
US Government Agencies
National Institutes of Health
A principal concern of the NIH is to invest wisely the tax dollars entrusted to it for the support and conduct of biomedical research. This link provides grants and funding opportunities offered by NIH.
NIH is comprised of about 25 separate Institutes and Centers. The Institutes listed below cover one or more symptoms associated with Friedreich's ataxia. You can click on a link to a selected institute to learn more about grant funding and areas of program interest.
- Neurological Disorders: National Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS). The NIH Institute with primary oversight of biomedical research on FRDA.
- Diabetes: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK).
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
- Genetics: National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI)
- Antioxidation: National Institute on Aging
- Orthopedics: National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS)
- Child Development: National Institute of Child and Human Development (NICHD)
- Hearing Impairment: National Institute on Deafness & Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD)
- NIH RePORTER: (Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tools) A searchable repository of NIH-funded biomedical research projects, as well as publications and patents resulting from NIH funding