The Department of Defense’s Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP) is a global funding organization that fosters novel approaches to congressionally targeted biomedical research areas. CDMRP receives annual appropriations that are disease or condition-specific and for the FY22 budget has added Friedreich Ataxia to the list of topic areas eligible for $370M in funding within the Peer-Reviewed Medical Research Programs. All organizations, including foreign organizations, foreign public entities, and international organizations, are eligible to apply.
The following mechanisms provide funding opportunities for Friedreich Ataxia research:
- Clinical Trial Award: Supports the rapid implementation of clinical trials of novel interventions. Preproposal deadline is May 6, 2022 5:00 p.m. ET
- Discovery Award: Supports the exploration of a highly innovative new concept or untested theory - Letter of Intent deadline is April 22, 2022 5:00 p.m. ET
- Focused Program Award: Supports a synergistic, multidisciplinary research program of at least four distinct but complementary projects addressing an overarching goal/question – Preproposal deadline is May 6, 2022 5:00 p.m. ET
- Investigator-Initiated Research Award: Supports research that will make an original and important contribution to the field of research or patient care in the Topic Area(s) of interest - Letter of Intent deadline is April 29, 2022 5:00 p.m. ET
- Technology/Therapeutic Development Award: Supports the translation of promising preclinical findings into clinical applications for prevention, detection, diagnosis, treatment, and/or quality of life - Letter of Intent deadline is April 29, 2022 5:00 p.m. ET