We are on a mission to treat and cure FA!
The Friedreich's Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA) is committed to advancing research towards meaningful treatments and a cure for
Friedreich's ataxia. Because FARA focuses its funding solely on carefully vetted research, your support directly impacts our ability to promote
the progress of treatment development and a cure for FA.
You can donate by credit card online. Your transaction is safe, secure, and private.
Join the Pathway
When you join FARA's monthly giving program with a recurring donation of $10 or more, you are joining a
community invested in setting a path to treatments and a cure for FA through research.
Give the Gift of Research
Make a donation to FARA in honor or memory of a loved one. You can send an e-card or have a physical
card mailed to your recipient.
Gift of Research
Maximize your lasting impact on the future of FA treatments by including FARA in your planned giving.
Donor Advised Funds
Recommend a one time or recurring gift to FARA through your donor advised fund.
You can also direct your donor advised fund be distributed in part or in full to FARA after your lifetime.
Your gift could go twice as far! See if you employer will match your tax-deductible contribution to FARA.
Many employers are committed to supporting the interests of their employees through workplace
giving programs, including the United Way and Combined Federal Campaign.
+ Show More
United Way - FARA works with many local United Way organizations throughout the United States.
You can either contact United Way yourself to designate giving to FARA or your employer may also have an established giving program
with the United Way. If needed, FARA can contact the local United Way, at your request, to have FARA listed as a charity for earmarked
donations. Please note that local United Way policies may vary from branch to branch.
Combined Federal Campaign - The Combined Federal Campaign gives federal employees the opportunity to donate to their favorite
charity by designating a withholding from their paycheck. FARA is listed as a possible recipient for earmarked donations
through this campaign. FARA's CFC identification code is: 65243.
You can also inquire with your employer as to whether they offer a Workplace Giving program for an
easy and efficient way to make tax-deductible donations through payroll contributions.
We can help facilitate a gift of stock or securities to FARA
+ Show More
For specific details about offering FARA stock options, please contact John Downing.
Other ways to Donate
You can also make a gift to FARA by phone, mail, or wire.
+ Show More
- You can donate over the phone by calling FARA at (484) 879-6160 (includes international
donations). We will need your name, address and credit card information. The credit card user fee
charged to FARA is ~3% of your donation.
- You can send a check or money order to FARA at:
533 W. Uwchlan Ave
Downingtown, PA 19335
- For details about wiring donations, please contact John Downing.
Bank fees are typically $15 - $25 per transaction.
Giving Programs & In-Kind Support
FARA participates in giving programs like IGive, and accepts certain in-kind
donations of goods and services.
+ Show More
donate to charities when you use them. You can designate FARA as the beneficiary of their donated funds.
Through your regular activities, shopping, or referrals, FARA can receive funds for research.
- IGive - You can access some of your favorite online stores through IGive. Then when you shop online with IGive,
you can designate FARA as the recipient of a percentage of the proceeds from your purchase (on average 3%).
On the IGive website, type “Friedreich’s Ataxia Research Alliance” in the cause “Keyword search”.
Then, complete the registration information.
- FARA accepts in-kind donations of goods and services. People that have expertise in given areas or networks that want to help may contact FARA to explore ideas. Previously accepted in-kind donations include:
- Valued items to be used for auction at fundraising events
- Marketing services (advertisement or promotional material creation)
- Food donations/catering for events
- Promotional materials for events
FARA is able to accept vehicle donations through Charitable Adult Rides & Services (CARS) at
. Charitable Adult Rides & Services
(CARS) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that administers and also benefits from this donation.
FARA will not trade, share or sell your personal information with anyone else, nor send donor mailings on behalf of other organizations.
Updated on June 18, 2021
The Friedreich’s Ataxia Research Alliance (“FARA,” “we,” “us,” “our”) respects donor privacy and keeps All personal information confidential. FARA will never share your information with outside organizations, unless required by law. We honor your privacy and your rights to your information. Please see FARA’s Donor Bill of Rights for a list of your rights as a donor.
Your personal information - Your “personal information” includes your name, donation amount, address, phone number, e-mail address, donor comments, and any other information you provided. If donating by check, data on the check such as a partner’s name may be included in “personal information.”
How we use your information -
- FARA will not sell, trade, or share your personal information with outside entities, and we will never send donor mailings on behalf of other organizations.
- Personal information may be used by FARA to send e-mail or mailings on news updates, information on program activities, and funding needs. To unsubscribe from these mailing lists, please utilize the “unsubscribe” link on any e-communications or contact FARA directly.
- FARA publishes an Annual Report each year. FARA will acknowledge contributions $5,000 and greater by donor name and giving level in this report. Levels will include $5,000-$9,999; $10,000-$24,999; $25,000-$49,999; $50,000-$99,000; $100,000-$499,999; $500,000-$999,999; $1M and up. By requesting an anonymous donation, you will be listed as anonymous in the report.
- For acknowledgment purposes only, FARA may share your contact information with volunteer fundraising event hosts or families to whom you’ve given a tribute gift. Donation amounts for a respective campaign are only shared with volunteers acting with FARA to hold that fundraising event or campaign and who sign a non-disclosure agreement.
- FARA may employ other companies or individuals to perform duties on our behalf. These entities are bound by the same privacy and confidentiality rules to which we adhere.
How we protect your information -
Only authorized personnel have access to donor information in our secure files and electronic database. FARA shreds all documents containing sensitive donor information prior to discarding. We take all steps we can to value your privacy and keep your information confidential.
Policy changes - This policy is effective from the date listed above. FARA may change this policy without notification.
Please check our website, www.cureFA.org, for the most recent version.
How to contact FARA
FARA Operations Staff
533 W Uwchlan Ave
Downingtown, PA 19335
Phone: 484-879-6160, Fax: 484-872-1402
+ Donor Bill of Rights
PHILATHROPY is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the
quality of life. To ensure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective
donors can have full confidence in the Friedreich’s Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA), FARA declares that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of FARA’s mission, of the way FARA intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations
effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on FARA’s governing board and staff leadership, and to expect the board and
leadership to exercise prudent judgment in their stewardship responsibilities
- To have access to FARA’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing FARA will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers or employees of FARA. FARA does not hire outside paid solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
Developed by Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP),
Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), Giving Institute: Leading Consultants to Non-Profits
Endorsed by (information) Independent Sector, National Catholic Development Conference (NCDC), National Committee on Planned Giving (NCPG),
Council for Resource Development (CRD), United Way of America
+ State Nonprofit Disclosures
Certain states require written disclosures for nonprofit organizations soliciting contributions. Individual state disclosures are below.
Florida: A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY
CALLING TOLL-FREE, WITHIN THE STATE, 1-800-435-7352 (800-HELP-FLA), OR VISITING www.FloridaConsumerHelp.com. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.
Florida Registration #CH25873
Georgia: A full and fair description of our programs and our financial statement
summary is available upon request at our office and phone number indicated above.
Maryland::For the cost of copies
and postage, from the Office of the Secretary of State, State House, Annapolis, MD 21401.
The official registration and financial information of FriedreichÕs Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA) may be obtained from the Mississippi
Secretary of State's office by calling 1-888-236-6167. Registration by the Secretary of State does not imply endorsement.
Nevada: Contributions may be tax deductible pursuant to the provisions of sec. 170(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986,
26 U.S.C. ¤170(c).
New Jersey:: INFORMATION FILED WITH THE ATTORNEY GENERAL CONCERNING THIS CHARITABLE
SOLICITATION AND THE PERCENTAGE OF CONTRIBUTIONS RECEIVED BY THE CHARITY DURING THE LAST REPORTING PERIOD THAT WERE DEDICATED TO
THE CHARITABLE PURPOSE MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY BY CALLING (973) 504-6215 AND IS
AVAILABLE ON THE INTERNET AT www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/charfrm.htm.
REGISTRATION WITH THE ATTORNEY GENERAL DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT.
New York: Upon request, from the Attorney
General Charities Bureau, 120 Broadway, New York, NY 10271.
Financial information about this organization and a copy of its license are available from the State Solicitation Licensing Branch at
1-919-814-5400. The license is not an endorsement by the state.
Pennsylvania: The official registration and financial
information of FriedreichÕs Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA) may be obtained from the Pennsylvania Department of State by calling toll-free, within
Virginia: From the State Office of Consumer Affairs in the Department of Agriculture and Consumer
Affairs, P.O. Box 1163, Richmond, VA 23218.
Washington: From the Secretary of State at 1-800-332-4483 or
West Virginia: West Virginia residents may obtain a summary of the registration and
financial documents from the Secretary of State, State Capitol, Charleston, WV 25305.
Wisconsin: A financial statement of the
charitable organization disclosing assets, liabilities, fund balances, revenue and expenses for the preceding fiscal year will be provided to any
person upon request.
REGISTRATION WITH A STATE AGENCY DOES NOT CONSTITUTE OR IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL OR RECOMMENDATION BY THAT
More information about
fundraiser disclosures and annual charity registrations.